There is possibly a water leak that you are not aware of; under any substrate like grass, bare earth, concrete, tarmac or paving.
Leak Detection Investigation
Knowing the precise location to dig for the best and safest outcomes; saves time, inconvenience and money.
Underground Detection has the expertise and equipment to help you!
Our investment in the latest technology has allowed us to be highly portable and enable us to do work for agricultural, industry, commercial, townhouse and residential properties throughout Southern Africa.
We are able to accurately detect and pinpoint almost any kind of leak, using contact and ground acoustics, gas, leak noise correlation equipment and infrared. The correlation method is most suitable for deeply buried pipes where all other methods fail. Leak noise correlation uses transmitters to detect leaks over long distances and is particularly suitable for locating leaks where leaks and pipes cannot be inspected with other methods. Leak noise correlation is when we connect sensitive sensors attached to opposite ends of a pipeline to monitor leak sounds. The leak noises are transmitted to a central receiver which calculates the exact position of the leak. This makes leak detection much quicker to solve.
We are uniquely positioned as one of the few leak detection companies who have invested in leak noise correlation equipment.
Once the leak has been repaired, the meter is checked for additional leaks until all leaks have been attended to.
In most situations, the surface trace of the water pipe is not known. Very few plans (<1%) of water pipes exist therefore it’s important to be able to locate the surface trace of a pipeline. In some situations, the pipe is first located using ground penetrating radar or a sonde before starting the leak detection process.
Supplementary Leak Detection Services
Water Seepage & Groundwater
Water seepage can pose problems in basements and structures built in low lying areas.
Investigations are done to determine the cause of the problem and how best to remove unwanted water. The installation of sub-soil drains (agricultural drains) and sumps equipped with automatic pumps is a regular solution.
Swimming Pool Leaks
The process starts with an integrity check of the pool pipes. The pipes of the pool are effectively isolated from the pool itself and these are then checked by pressurizing the pipes with gas. Leaks can be pinpointed with accuracy making this method quick and conclusive.
If the leak is not located in the pipes then the pool structure is checked. Generally, this can only be done on calm days with little or no wind.
Water Loss Rebates
For leaks in sub-surface water pipes, the local municipality may provide rebates for water loss. Assistance in obtaining these refunds by compiling a detailed motivation can be done.
- 1litre per minute water loss is roughly 40 000 litres per month.
- Towns generally lose 25% or more of water through leaking pipes.
- If you suspect a pool leak, place a bucket on the first step and fill it to the same level as the pool. If the level of water in the pool drops below that of the bucket, then there is a leak.
- If you suspect a water leak, close all taps and place your ear against a water pipe. If a faint hissing sound is heard, there could be a leak.
- Water leaks usually start off very slowly, so small that they show little or no movement on the water meter. The leaks develop into larger leaks and may burst when there are spikes in water pressure.
- The most common cause of water loss is poor pipeline installation and failure of fittings. Soil loading and excessively wet soil cause immense pressure on pipes and fittings. Pipes should be bedded in sand but this is usually not done. Angular rock fragments against pipes and poor connections are the main culprits.
- As the leaks slowly erode sub-surface soil the water finds its way through the ground following lines of weakness in sub-surface pathways. Some leaks even as large as 500 000 lt/day may never show on the surface. The orientation of the leak, ground conditions and rock fragments above the pipe are the main reasons why leaks never show on the surface.